Friday, July 20, 2007

it's a song i sing

Surprisingly, Transformers ended up not being half bad. I never followed the series as a kid and honestly I hardly know a thing about it, so I whether or not the film dogmatically adhered to canon was not an issue to me like it was for some (I love you, Justin). That said, the movie was nothing more than a brainless, high-budget popcorn flick. The fact that the movie really had potential is the sad thing; in the hands of a real director--not Michael-I-use-lots-of-explosions-because-I-can't-direct-a-movie-with-real-plot-development-Bay--m it could have been amazing. Despite wanting to dislike Shia Labeouf for appearing on a Disney Channel show, he was really the only character that truly felt three-dimensional. The effects were impressive, but considering how great technology is these days, good character development and story is rarer than jaw-dropping effects.

3 out of 5 Davies


I watched Velvet Goldmine the other night-- a weird, trippy glam-rock fairy tale loosely based on David Bowie and Iggy Pop. Wasn't anything spectacular, but it did make me overcome my skepticism that Ewan McGregor would not make a good Kurt Cobain if (or more likely, when) they make a biopic about him. McGregor, who played the Iggy-based character, ended up looking just like Cobain for most of the film, making him and Brad Pitt the only two actors I'd like to see play the part.

5 comments:

Rob said...

Shia Labeouf is great....Even his Disney show wasn't that bad. I've liked him in every role I've seen him play.

Davie said...

That's the thing. I want to not like him because he was on something as horrible as the Disney Channel, but I can't because he's that funny.

Anonymous said...

i think brad pitt looks more like kurt cobain than ewan mcgregor

Rob said...

Yeah, and don't forget Leonardo DiCaprio.....started out in Titanic, now he makes good movies.

dougie said...

yeah transformers was great. They may have absolutely crapped on the original series but it was sweet anyway.