Monday, June 09, 2008

like bullets on tin

Last night's UFC 85 event in England was a fairly boring affair, and which made me very glad I didn't pay to watch it. The only notable fight was the savage beating Matt Hughes suffered at the hands of Thiago Alves. Alves stuffed nearly every take down Hughes attempted while landing solid punches and knees. By the second round it seemed it was only a matter of time before Alves pummeled Hughes into unconsciousness, until Alves connected with a flying knee that put Hughes on the mat and forced referee Herb Dean to end the fight. After such a brutal loss coming not long after he was dismantled by Georges St. Pierre--and having lost three of his last four matches--, I would be shocked if Hughes didn't retire sometime in the very near future...

I'd never been much of a hockey fan before this year, but I happily jumped on the Cincinnati Cyclones bandwagon halfway through the 2008 season. I ended up having a blast at the first game I went to and went back a couple more times, especially for the sixth and final game of the championship series against the Las Vegas Wranglers. It was a close game, but the 'Clones ended up scoring twice in the third period to escape with a fantastic 3-1 victory and--most importantly--become the 2008 ECHL Kelly Cup Champions! Next year will find me cheering the team on again, although the sad reality is the team will likely see its best players leave for positions with teams in the NHL and AHL...

Jess and I went out for our six year anniversary last week. Crazy to think about how long six years really is. Anyway, we went to dinner at Nada, which was delicious, and afterward went to Nicholson's for a drink. Both establishments were fantastic; I would highly recommend both of them...

Thanks to Christy and Rob for registering and voting for my Capture Cincinnati pictures. I will add more as time goes on, so keep checking back.

1 comment:

Rob said...

anything for my davie. i need to vote for the rest of them...they dont make it easy to vote for one's photos...