Tuesday, March 27, 2007

little piggy needed something new

Predictably, Spring Break went by all too quickly. I managed to only get a couple things done on my to-do list, but hopefully I can still use my extra time in the next couple weeks to finish them before classes get to busy. It was really nice to take some time to relax and to get some exercise; played a surprisingly decent game of frisbee golf for it being my first game of the year, and spent some time kicking around a soccer ball and running a couple days. I also got almost all the way through The Irresistible Revolution, which is one of the best and most challenging books I've read since Blue Like Jazz.


S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, a game almost as infamous as Duke Nukem Forever for its numerous delays, was finally released. The game is very open-ended, especially for a shooter. The open landscapes filled with respawning enemies and numerous side quests give the game an RPG element similar to something like Knights of the Old Republic. The best part is the environment: the developers should be proud of the bleak, moody atmosphere they successfully rendered. The day-night cycles, usually consisting of gloomy clouds and constant rainfall, add to the dreary ambiance. This depressing atmosphere is fitting considering the game is centered around a second Chernobyl meltdown in the near future, which has caused the "Zone" around it to be filled with mutant animals, zombies, mercenaries, and scavengers. The A.I. is pretty good, but buggy at times. In fact, there are an unfortunate number of glitches that affect some of the missions and other characters. Hopefully at least some of the problems will be addressed by a patch. I haven't tried the multiplayer yet, but it sounds like it could be fun. Command & Conquer 3 is getting good reviews, so I might have to check that out too sometime.

No comments: