Thursday, April 12, 2007

faces come out of the rain

I still plan on overhauling my entire blog layout, but I don't want to start until I have the time to sit down and do it all in one fell swoop. Which means it may not happen until after graduation.

Work is slowly progressing on my senior project. For the uninformed, the professor in my senior seminar wanted everyone to do their research projects on some aspect of Spiritualism- the belief that spirits of the dead can be contacted by mediums. Thrilling stuff, I know. I decided early on that I wanted to do something related to the Civil War since Spiritualism was very popular at the same time. When looking for primary sources from Spiritualists in the Union Army (almost all Spiritualists were in the North), I found two prominent Spiritualists who were also the commanding officers of black regiments. Spiritualism and the abolitionist movement had always been closely related, so I finally settled on looking at the connection between Spiritualist involvement and the integration of blacks into the war effort. I know what you're thinking- that's sounds so exhilarating that you just can't wait to get your hands on it. Yawn.

I've thought about possibly posting some of my papers on here before, in the off chance that someone might find them remotely interesting. I know Jess was interested in reading my paper on the Soviet-induced famine in the Ukraine. The two main problems I see, besides boring everyone from ever visiting my blog again, is that the posts would be far too long and that I wouldn't want to risk someone ripping off my very mediocre work. We'll see.

No comments: