Thursday, February 08, 2007

get behind the wheel again

It has been an exciting week in music news this week. First there was the official release date for Nine Inch Nails' Year Zero on April 17. Then today Billy Corgan announced that the Smashing Pumpkins' sixth studio album, Zeitgeist, will be released on July 7th (7-7-07). Already this year is looking like it could have some quality releases. However, my expectations for Zeitgeist are remaining very reserved, and I'm anticipating Year Zero to be about on par with With Teeth.

On the other hand, it was announced today that Half-Life 2: Episode 2 (along with Team Fortress 2 and Portal) would be delayed again(!) till Fall 2007. Now, Valve Software, correct me if I'm mistaken here, but wasn't the purpose of episodic content so that the public would not have to wait as long between releases? Still, I suppose that when you release video game sequels as frequently as the old Trent Reznor used to release Nine Inch Nails albums (Half-Life: 1998, Half-Life 2: 2004), eighteen months isn't really that bad. Valve proved with Half-Life 2 that their games will be worth the wait, and I suppose I shouldn't berate them for taking their time to perfect their product, instead of rushing a game full of bugs and flaws. I have no doubt that Episode 2 and it's accompanying games will be fantastic, polished masterpieces. I just wish I didn't have to keep waiting on them.

No comments: